The Superintendence Committee is responsible for the support of congregational life throughout the Presbytery. It does this through:
- a planned programmes of record inspection and Local Church Review as specified by Church Law and procedure;
- responding to particular needs and request for support and encouragement;
- being the point of referral for issues of conflict in congregations;
- the administration of The Acts of Assembly relating to the discipline of Ministers, Deacons and Elders; and
- the monitoring of congregational relationships with community agencies such as Registrars, funeral directors and crematoria.
Much of the ongoing encouragement and oversight of congregations is carried out via Presbytery’s Support and Development Teams. The specific responsibilities of the Superintendence Committee member within these teams are to arrange Local Church Review visits as and when required, and to arrange the Inspection of Records in March each year.